How can I Improve my Academic Writing?
Academic writing has the power to change your grades in school. Hence, you must possess the skill of writing. Here are a few simple ways that can help you improve your essay writing-
1. Active Voice: It is recommended to use active voice as it emphasizes the doer. It makes your essay look solid, attractive, readable, and easy to understand for the readers.
2. Proper Research: If you want to write an excellent academic paper, it is essential to have relevant knowledge and facts about the topic. If you wish to have a well-written article, gather the data from research papers, journals, etc. Good research also suggests that a student has adequately prepared for his work. Focus on the essential points and present them in your body paragraphs.
3. Avoid using Big Words: Your reader must be able to understand and comprehend what you are presenting in your paper. Hence, it would help if you chose the correct vocabulary. Avoid using heavy words that are uncommon. If there is jargon, explain them to the reader as well.
4. Do not Repeat Words: Besides choosing the correct vocabulary, one should also ensure no repetition of words. It makes your academic writing less creative. If you can’t think of other words, you can look for synonyms on the internet. Always use different words which convey the same meaning instead of repeating it in your essay.
5. Follow an Outline: Every format of academic writing follows an outline. It includes an introduction, body, abstract, and conclusion. Before your final draft, create an outline and make sure you follow that throughout your article. It’ll give structure to your essay and keep you away from confusion and chaos. You’ll know what point should go where.
6. Grammar and Language: Even if you have a good topic and excellent research-based information, poor grammar and language will ruin it all. Grammar can change the whole meaning of your paper. Hence, poor grammar can confuse the reader as well. Similarly, language has its own prominence. The tone, vocab, and language should be professional and formal. However, it may also depend on your topic or the writing style.
7. Proofread is Must: Once you are done with your final draft, go through it again and again and rectify the mistakes. Reading it out loud or giving it to a friend or family to read can help recognize the mistakes you may miss. Ask for their feedback and work on required changes.